About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, January 17, 2014

Mind Over Matter

It's Friday once again, and here I am sitting back at the computer. I hope you've had a good week, and that you are in good spirits.

My husband and I celebrated our silver wedding anniversary last week and I was determined to make it the most wonderful memorable day. Having realised my limitations due to Parkinson's we couldn't have the big party we had talked about and planned years ago. Instead we had to settle and be content with having just the immediate family over. An evening party was out of the question, for come 7 pm., or 8pm. if I'm lucky, I'm already running out of steam. Suffering extreme fatigue is a real dampener on any kind of social life; as soon as the sun goes down I'm finished for the day, leaving my husband frustratingly limited. This must be a common problem that many couples have, where the sufferer is already winding down from the day and has no energy left, but the caregiver, finished with work and chores is ready for some social interaction and relief from Parkinson duties. Taking my present situation into consideration, we decided to make a brunch, as the morning hours are when  I'm at my best.

I awoke that morning with great resolve, using every ounce of energy, I told Parkinson's to take a hike for the day so I could enjoy our anniversary I had looked forward to for such a long time. I had gone to great lengths with a lot of thought to come up with some original and special ideas to surprise my husband. A big thank you to various friends  who acted as my accomplice.

I think in certain circumstances, its mind over matter - and nothing was going to stand in my way of having a good time that particular day. I got dressed, and came out of the bedroom with my head held high, consciously standing up straight for a change, instead of my usual stance, hunched over with bad posture. I don't know what I was running on; adrenaline, excitement or sheer strength of determination not to allow Parkinson's to spoil our special day. My husband was astonished and got to see the "old Elaine" again, who he married 25 years ago, even if only for a few hours while with great willpower I defiantly kept Parkinson's under wraps. I managed to keep going for a number of hours, but eventually around 3 pm. I could continue the battle no longer and started to wilt.

Once all the guests had left, much like the Energizer bunny whose batteries are suddenly removed, and is unable to function, I collapsed into bed as fatigue resumed and Parkinson's returned with full vengeance. I had let my guard down for a mere moment and Parkinson's jumped back in and hit with force, leaving me powerless. I was so exhausted by the afternoon, it took a few days to get back to myself. However all the effort was worthwhile, as I still came out a winner for I had spent a whole morning celebrating with my husband and close family members, resulting in precious memories I can hold onto that Parkinson's can never steal from me. Even the photographs taken that day verify there is evidence to support "mind over matter", even though only for a short period of time.

I have written a light hearted article for The Huffington Post this week, so take a few moments to read "How Are You". Have an enjoyable weekend, and I'll catch up with you next Friday.

1 comment:

  1. Happy anniversary to you and your husband, Elaine. You still make a lovely bride!

    ReplyDelete