About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, February 7, 2014

Mixing Medications

The days have flown by, and I find it's Friday once more. Having been under the weather recently, I am beginning to feel as if someone up above is testing my resolve. When suffering any chronic illness, throw into the mix other unrelated health issues, and things really start to get complicated. Many Parkinson's medications aren't compatible with fairly standard ordinary medicines such as anti biotic. Often different patients experience varying side effects, so there is no rule of thumb to go by. This is where trial and error come into play. It's a matter of finding the anti biotic well-suited to you, and making a note of those you've already tried and of which you don't want a repeat performance!

After being on anti biotic for about five days, knowing it's important to complete a course, I spoke to my doctor about the worrying additional symptoms I was experiencing. I was advised to immediately stop the anti biotic, which I did. Pay attention to sudden new symptoms when taking anti biotic or any other medication you don’t normally take on a regular basis, and if necessary, contact your doctor for advice.

Many symptoms of Gaucher and Parkinson's overlap, such as fatigue, and it's not always possible to determine which disease is causing the offending indicators. As plain as constipation might sound, it can become an overriding issue when several factors are the cause. Taking pain medication, being less mobile, Parkinson's itself resulting in the intestines no longer functioning as they should, along with certain Parkinson's medications, all contribute to instigating severe constipation. 

For good measure, add into the equation menopause, and if you're super lucky like me, you'll possibly have additional symptoms. Oh joy of joys, what other surprises could mother nature conjure up? I've become a walking heating system, capable not only of warming the bed, but the entire bedroom. Who'd have thought the menopause could prove to be an energy saving efficient source of constant heat throughout a cold winter's night?


Receiving the very latest medicines available, top treatment and care, is only part of the story. The remainder is up to the patient to undertake and I'm talking about the all important exercise; whether it be in the form of hydrotherapy, yoga, walking with Nordic poles, physiotherapy, etc. Not all health schemes cover these extras, and even if they do, it is usually for a short course of 12 sessions which is hardly enough. Exercise in whatever form should be done on a daily basis if possible or at least several times a week to ensure maximum benefit. This is where one has to start to pay privately, which many families cannot afford. Having financial security and being comfortable, results in the best quality of life. This is what prompted the subject for my article this week in The Huffington Post.

Enjoy your weekend, and it's "over and out" from me till next Friday.




1 comment:

  1. Elaine,just read your article "Love me,love my dog" got to say it made me smile at the antics of your dog..All of her antics and actions I can totally relate to..We lost our German Shepherd (Arnie) in January 2012.When our eldest grandson came to visit Arnie would follow him all around the house and would sit by him,instinct told him that Zak was not totally ok,he has Aspergers Syndrome.So I can only agree with you on a dogs instinct to know that something is not as it should be..We now have a 7 yo rescue GSD and she has shown some of the same instincts.It's nice to know our dogs are looking out for us !! Best Wishes for the future,you have proved that you are a *Fighter*....Mel ps your dog is a beauty !

    ReplyDelete