About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, March 7, 2014

Beware Herbal Remedies

Seemingly innocent herbal remedies, that don't require a doctor's prescription, allow the general public the ability to purchase treatments across the counter with no professional medical advice. Many herbal therapies, openly on sale to everyone, misleadingly have additional ingredients and may surprisingly cause some serious side effects. Just because it says "herbal" doesn't mean it is completely natural, safe and harmless.

Where do our present day medications originate from? Plants have been the basis of medical treatments for thousands of years through human history, many of which are still used today. From the beginning of mankind, people have relied on plants for food. Through trial and error discoveries were made; some plants were found to be good to eat, others poisonous, and there were those discovered for their qualities in producing bodily changes such as increased bowel movement, pain relief, hallucinations and healing. Observation and information was passed orally from generation to generation, each generation adding and refining medicinal knowledge. Every culture in the world has in this manner developed a body of herbal knowledge as part of its tradition.

Modern medicine, is based on scientific  gathering of evidence, and many compounds are plant derived upon the basis of evidence-tested pharmaceutical drugs. It therefore stands to reason, why people are often drawn to herbal remedies, believing they present no danger, as they are simply from plants.

If you are taking any additional herbal medicines or are thinking about it, I urge you to be well informed about the particular remedy in question and discuss with your doctor the ramifications if any that may arise. This is especially important if you're taking Parkinson's medications, as so many holistic medicines are not compatible and can throw your entire system out of whack.


One such medicine that is not legal in many countries is medical cannabis. Although there has been widespread proof that it can help relieve some symptoms of chronic patients, this "plant" also can present serious detrimental effects. My article this week for The Huffington Post is about the issue of medical cannabis.

No comments:

Post a Comment