About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, May 30, 2014

Move over - Parkinson's here!

Housebound most of the time, any outing, however simple, is a treat. Fortunately there are a number of places to go relatively near by, but I have to rely on  others to drive me. I hate the loss of independence in this respect, but have unwillingly come to terms and accept it.

I have been struggling to use my mobile phone for some time, which is a dinosaur according to my husband. The buttons small and too sensitive for Parkinson's fingers, I reluctantly agreed to upgrade. Someone had recommended a particular mobile flip phone, with large buttons, making it far easier to use which was designed for older people, but works equally well for anyone with dexterity problems. I wear it on a cord around my neck so it's with me all the time, but the best feature of all is the red emergency S.O.S. button on the back of the phone. This has been set to automatically phone my husband and daughter in a crisis situation. It cannot be accidentally pushed in my handbag, but needs to be pressed and held for several seconds, which then lets out a loud siren noise, not dissimilar to an ambulance or police car, indicating a message calling for "help" has been sent. This is a marvellous feature - but I hope I won't need to use it!

Having a little outing to a local café, my husband ordered an espresso coffee, which arrived in a tiny cup, reminiscence of the dolly's tea cups I played with as a child. Barely one sip and the strong coffee was gone. What interested me far more than the miniature china wear, was the bottle of soda water that accompanied the espresso, (just as they serve it in Italy to clear the bitter after-taste). I have never seen such a tiny plastic bottle before, and immediately saw a great use for it. I now keep it in my handbag filled with water, so that when out, and need to take one of my many Parkinson's pills that are carefully spread out throughout the day, I always have a sip of water with me to take the pills, no matter where I am.

Changing the subject completely and unable to segue from water bottles to cars, I'll just jump straight in….


I have received many e-mails over the last year from people around the world, about a particular article I wrote for The Huffington Post during January 2013, and since decided to write a follow up piece seeing the amount of interest shown, so take a look at an issue that effects many but little seems to have been done to rectify this problem for the advertisers and PR of car manufacturers plainly think "Disability Isn't Sexy"!

No comments:

Post a Comment