About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, September 12, 2014

Dyskinesia is not a good look

Summer has finished, and according to the displays of “New Collections” in the clothing shops, fall has arrived. Somehow the new collections look suspiciously like last years’ or was it the year before? If you keep anything long enough, it’s bound to come back into fashion. Nonetheless the fashion industry always manage to bump up the prices, all because it’s a new season. Finding a good look for “you” is half the battle I found, but now a little wiser what looks best on my short frame, I can say with hand on heart, wearing a long dangling necklace when you have dyskinesia should be avoided at all costs. Suddenly what looked very attractive laying on the dressing table, once hanging around my neck merely draws attention and accentuates the annoying dyskinesia that people with Parkinson’s have to endure.

It’s bad enough my left leg doing its own rendition of the highland fling, and my head moving around, I look like I’m agreeing wholeheartedly with any conversation that is going on. Maybe this “look” would go down well at Wimbledon, watching tennis, turning one’s head from one direction to the other as you follow the ball. Wearing a long dangling necklace, is a definite no no! As the necklace slid from side to side, I wondered whether I would end up with whip lash. Hence said necklace has been relegated to the pile that is accumulating waiting to be given away.

On a more serious note, dyskinesia is extremely unpleasant, not to mention exhausting. For loved ones it is agonising to watch, feeling helpless and unable to stop these involuntary jolting movements. After a close friend having witnessed for the first time a bout of dyskinesia, she made a very good observation. Generally when having a slipped disc, one is advised to lay still and not make any twisting or turning movements ……well if you have Parkinson’s there is little you can do to stop the dyskinesia, which must exacerbate a slipped disc no end, lengthening the time of healing considerably. Is it any wonder that my back is taking so long to get better! 

When living with Parkinson's or any other long-term illness, planning for the future is vital and should not be dismissed. Are you an ostrich or a beaver .....not sure? then take a look at my article this week in The Huffington Post.


No comments:

Post a Comment