About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, February 20, 2015

Mount Laundry

Who hasn’t heard of Mount Everest and the mountaineers that go down in history for their daring climb to its famous summit? Or Mount Rushmore, America’s national memorial, a landmark depicting four heads of the United States presidents, sculptured into a rock face. I could quote many more well-known mountains, but this is not a geography lesson.

What I’d never heard of, is Mount Laundry! My husband taking one look at our overflowing laundry basket, named it rather appropriately “Mount Laundry”. I don’t know if you have a similar scenario in your household? I’m convinced we have a magic laundry basket. No sooner has it been emptied, does it mysteriously refill itself. There appears no end to dirty laundry, even though we are a small family.

With the recent storms and constant rain, day in, day out, Spring feels like it’s a long way off. I want to be outside, sitting in the garden and feeling the warmth of the sun on my skin (no better way of getting a natural dose of vitamin D!). Unable to hang laundry outside in the appalling weather of late, the pile continues to grow, threatening to take over the small room.

Why am I sharing with you this seemingly pointless information? Let’s face it, no one really cares, but the point I am making, albeit rather long winded; coping with ill health is all a matter of how you perceive things. Keeping a positive spin on everything, even something as mundane as laundry, maintaining a sense of humour no matter what, helps give a little light comic relief to what is really far from a funny  situation. Laughter helps lift everyone’s spirits and is more powerful than given credit for. Humour is an important coping mechanism and quite frankly we need all the tools we can muster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment