About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, March 23, 2018

Duodopa Pump Brings Hope!


Duodopa treatment is not necessarily suitable for every Parkinson’s patient. A full examination and consultation must be done to ascertain if you are a candidate for Duodopa.

I’ve found not all hospitals have a “Movement Disorder Clinic” and not all clinics offer “Duodopa”, a relatively new medication which is a therapy for patients who are in an advanced stage of Parkinson's disease, with severe motor fluctuations (on and off), when conventional oral therapy is no longer effective. The portable pump delivers Levodopa – carbidopa in the form of an intestinal gel, through a small tube that connects directly into the small intestine. The medication is given throughout the day, which allows a constant exact amount of medication to be administered and thereby decreasing the Parkinson's symptoms.

Before I underwent surgery to put in place a peg line, I was invited for a three-night stay in the Neurological ward, where I had a trial run to ensure I was a good candidate. The Duodopa nurse gave me instructions for my trial run with the Duodopa pump and told me to bring with good walking shoes and my walker!!!! Walking shoes and my walker? The nurse certainly sounded confident. This had to be a good sign, right?

Sure enough, once attached to the Duodopa Pump there was no stopping me. I grabbed my walker and husband, and we went for a walk. We left the hospital grounds and a little further along the street there was a small shopping mall. We found an ice-cream shop and decided to stop for some mandatory ice-cream. After sitting there about twenty minutes, we decided to make our way back. I very cautiously got up, wondering if I’d be able to walk. It was an undisputable YES. I had walked further that one day than I had in months.

No comments:

Post a Comment