About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Monday, February 27, 2012

Caregiver Respite

Being a caregiver is not an easy job, and many don’t fully understand how demanding, stressful and never ending this uninvited role becomes. It’s a responsibility that never goes away – 24/7 and sparks many emotions in both parties; the caregiver and the one who is disabled. I am well aware of how my devoted wonderful husband needs a break from the daily task of taking care of me. My husband has a Skipper’s Licence, and had the opportunity of sailing with a group of other qualified skippers for five days. Naturally part of me didn't want him to go, but I knew it was important for him to clear his head, and have a complete break from work and looking after me. It took them 28 hours to sail non-stop there with winds of 25 knots, swells and waves up to 2 meters. They moored for a day in a marina, going ashore to sample local cuisine, before making the return journey. This morning my sweetheart returned home, and it’s awfully good to have him back. He looks great, and has had an amazing experience, an adventure that re-charged his batteries and did him the world of good. So my advice to any caregiver is to take care of yourself, for you deserve a break and it’s essential to take leave now and then. Likewise I would say to any fellow sufferer, how crucial it is consenting wholeheartedly for your caregiver to have a deserved time-out, acknowledging their needs are just as important.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Elaine
    It's great you are able to see the other's side needs, respect and allow them.
    Best,
    Ariel

    ReplyDelete
  2. A 'caring caregiver' is a true hero/heroine. I have the greatest respect for caregivers who have to organize their time so carefully in order to:

    1. work to earn money,
    2. help at home (although helping someone as sweet as Elaine, can't be as difficult as helping someone who does not wear a smile)
    3. and, find time to do one thing each day that he/she wants to do. Brian seems to manage it all, and, with a smile.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete