About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Monday, June 11, 2012

Meeting someone rare

Meeting a person who is in the same shoes who understands completely what you are going through is a wonderful feeling. I was very fortunate to meet someone recently suffering from Gaucher and Parkinson’s, and feeling almost as if I had suddenly found a long lost cousin, there was an instant connection between us. As soon as I described the pain, discomfort, difficulties, hopes and worries, I barely had to finish my sentence before realising for the first time in my life; I was sitting with someone who had the same two diseases as me and knew what I had been through. To put into words what I felt, even for me, is difficult. There are not too many patients in the world who have both diseases and the comfort and supportive feeling I experienced, finally meeting another person who walks in my shoes, wearing two hats; I am definitely no longer alone. Due to privacy laws, doctors and hospitals understandably cannot put patients in contact with each other, despite the huge benefits that can be gained for both patients and their families. Sometimes one has to wait a very long time, to find each other, be it by chance or an introduction through a third party. I am so grateful to those who brought us together and thank you for this special unexpected connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment