About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Monday, November 19, 2012

My anchor


Stability in life is something most of us need, whether it be in a relationship, one's career/job or financial security. Feeling safe and being in control is a good feeling, but when Parkinson's or any degenerative disease decides to take up residence, life is never quite the same again. Control over even simple daily events become more challenging and feeling the loss of ability to be self sufficient and independent loom frighteningly near. People are generally at a loss when to offer help and when to step back and let me get on with things, and I appreciate that its hard to know what to do. I understand they do not want to seem unhelpful, but also don't want to make a big fuss when there is no need. I often see on people's faces the indecisive look of "should I offer t to help, or let her get on with it?" and realise this is a difficult position to be in. The one stable thing in my life that I can count on is my husband. His face is the last vision I have before going to sleep, and is the first sight I am greeted by in the morning. I am blessed to have a steadfast husband, who is my rock, and always there for me. Like an anchor, he provides the stability that keeps me on an even keel, as we journey the years together, navigating through life's turbulent waters. Parkinson's is changeable like the weather, and one never knows in advance if it's going to be a good day or a bad one. Making plans in advance, is always tricky, but the best advice I can give; is to simply take one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment