About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Why the sexy robes?

I received several e-mails asking the same question, and hope you don't mind that I answer you all in my blog today. I began to wonder how many others don't understand the reason for the "sexy robes" one often has to wear in hospital, if having an operation and during post surgery. I am sure you realise I am referring to the embarrassingly open down the back robes; exposing one's backside if you're not careful, with one tiny pathetic ribbon tied at the back of the neck! These are about as sexy as thermal underwear. As if this isn't bad enough, to top off the incredible ensemble, a disposable shower cap of sorts is added to cover one's hair. A more attractive look I cannot think of! Who needs a cold shower, when all you have to do is pop on one of these fabulous hospital robes adorned with disposable shower cap - and I can assure you any amorous thoughts are promptly dispelled. However, I digress, and now will answer your question as to "why" hospitals around the world insist on banding together, all using similar garments which wouldn't be found anywhere near a couture fashion house. The reason is very simple: when going into surgery, as soon as someone is unconscious on the operating table, like a dead weight, it is extremely difficult to physically remove pyjamas or even a regular night gown, not to mention wasting precious theatre time. By using these robes with a single tie at the neck, it takes but a second to undo, easily removing the robe, allowing the surgeon and team to get on with their job. Likewise, once the operation is complete, again it is far quicker and simple to put this unappealing robe back on the patient. If a patient is hooked up to an infusion or other paraphernalia, ordinary bed ware would get in the way, hindering the nurses in doing their job post surgery. So now you know there is indeed a legitimate and very good reason for this most unattractive attire. There is a lovely scene in the romantic comedy film "Something's GottaGive", where Jack Nicholson bares it all from behind in one these famous hospital robes.

1 comment:

  1. Wouldn't a couple of short strips of velcro along the edges do the same and still allow the patient a bit of dignity?
    K8

    ReplyDelete