About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Book Reading


At a nearby retirement home, I have been going once a week to read to the residents there. Many of these marvellous people are well into their 90's and do not own e-book readers; some have extremely poor eyesight, and cannot manage to read at all. I decided to take along my e-book and read to any of the residents who would like to listen to my latest book "A Silver Lining". I make sure to arrive mid morning, so that not only am I fresh and awake, but this is when my voice is at its best and I'm able to read out loud. I have to keep sipping water as my throat gets dry but I manage OK. I obviously couldn't read the entire book in one sitting, so will return again next week, and pick up where we left off. It was nice to see my story was being enjoyed, for every so often I could hear laughter, or an "ah" and see smiling eyes. Visiting people in retirement homes has become something important to me, as I can see that some residents are visited by family and friends only at the weekends, and unfortunately some don't have visitors at all. It can make such a difference to an elderly person's day to receive a visit from someone. My mother was fortunate enough to have been taken care of very well at this retirement home, till she passed away in March 2012. I used to visit her frequently, and over a period of time, I found I was collecting other ladies with whom I would also visit. Although my mother is no longer with us, I continue to visit people there, as I know a visitor with fresh conversation is always welcomed. My book is available through Amazon or Smashwords, and you can read a small portion on line. All stories have a beginning, middle and end, and the beginning of my story is not humorous, so please don't be put off, thinking it's a depressing heavy book, for it most definitely is not. I felt the beginning had to set the scene explaining how I came to have such a positive and cheerful attitude that seems to baffle doctors. The remainder of the book, be rest assured, will have you laughing as I recount many funny anecdotes, events that you'll be able to relate to, and incidents that have probably happened to us all as we go through life.

No comments:

Post a Comment