About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Monday, December 24, 2012

Mulled Wine


Today I just don’t feel like writing about Gaucher, Parkinson's or anything to do with health. Feeling distinctly cold this morning, my thoughts are on comforting hot drinks and food. Instead I am going to give you my recipe for mulled wine, which I hope you will enjoy as much as we do. With the chilly winter days, I always notice how quickly it gets dark in the evenings. Having some friends over, a bottle of chilled white wine doesn't sound very appealing on a cold night, so I am making a batch of mulled wine. Our guests will be greeted by the wonderful inviting smells of this warming drink, as it keeps hot on the stove in a large cauldron.

Mulled Wine (makes about 12 glasses)
1 bottle dry red wine
1/2 cup brandy
2 cups of orange juice
1 cup of water
1 sliced orange
1/2 cup of sugar
10 cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
A small nob of peeled ginger

Push the cloves into some of the slices of orange to save them floating around, and add all the ingredients to a large saucepan. Heat slowly, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Make it several hours before you want to serve it. Once it has heated through, turn off the heat and allow the spices to infuse. Simply heat up gently when your guests are about to arrive. Do not bring to a boil - you just want to keep it hot. I used to dip the rims of the glasses in sugar which adds an elegant and festive touch, but with my shaky hands, I think I'll give this addition a miss this year.

Have a lovely day and an enjoyable evening. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious! Thank you for sharing.
    Wishing you a blessed Christmas.

    ReplyDelete