About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, July 12, 2013

Life's barometer

Never knowing when I'm going to have a good or bad day, family and good friends who understand Parkinson's' sudden unpredictable changes, like the fluctuating weather, are getting used to the ups and downs I experience. I should have my own personal "life barometer" hanging on the wall, showing what the conditions today are going to be. As a child I had a small weather vane housed in a miniature wooden Swiss chalet , where in good weather a small figure of a lady would appear in a sun hat, and if the weather was decidedly cold, a little figure of a man holding an umbrella would swing out taking the sunny day lady's place. How accurate this contraption was, I'm not too sure, for Britain is renowned for it's cloudy grey skies and plenty of rain no matter what month of the year. It's no wonder the fields and countryside are so green. Needless to say as a child I rarely got to see the little wooden smiling lady in her hat. I don't know if these charming weather vanes are still made today, but maybe I need to find a Parkinson's barometer. Does one exist? I doubt it, but if there was such a thing, my husband and family would find it awfully useful.  

It was brought to my attention the other day that despite great strides having been made in public awareness towards Parkinson's disease, there are still many people who are ignorant about the symptoms and how a person with chronic disease struggles each day. This prompted me to write "Defining Symptons" as my article this week on The Huffington Post.


No comments:

Post a Comment