About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Parkinson's puzzle


Feeling under the weather, with very painful stiff joints, and arms that are weak and have no strength, as if someone has sapped all the power from my body, I found myself for the first time, with little to do. I couldn't even manage much writing, as the pain throbbed in my arms. Cooking which I love (despite being desperately slow now and have a tendency to drop things onto the floor which to no end delights the dog!) even this was too much for me to handle yesterday. My husband who always comes up with bright ideas, got out an old jigsaw puzzle of 1000 pieces which I haven’t done for a long time, so this kept me occupied most of the day and took little physical strength. I used to love puzzles, and although managed to complete 3/4 of it by myself, I found I was suddenly stuck and appeared to be missing some pieces with straight sides for the edges. I left it unfinished on the dining table and took an afternoon rest. Upon getting up, I found the puzzle had been completed by my daughter (after all, who can resist a puzzle just crying out to be finished?). What was truly puzzling though (pun not intended) was that I had put pieces in the wrong places, so no wonder I had had a problem finishing it. I was horrified to see that I had such difficulty in doing a jigsaw puzzle, and one that I have done on countless previous occasions. Parkinson's is a particularly puzzling disease, taking away slowly but surely, all sorts of abilities some of which may sound inconsequential and unimportant, but actually indicate clearly how the disease slowly advances and takes hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment