About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Ordering in a restaurant

When I was young, single, foot loose and fancy free, if out on a date I remember ordering carefully in a restaurant, so that I would remain poised and not have to struggle with something on my plate. Spaghetti being a dish I would avoid like the plague, for there is nothing less appealing than having ragout sauce on your chin. The same went for anything containing finely chopped spinach  or tiny poppy seeds that would get stuck in-between my teeth; a most unattractive look! Now all these years later, I find myself once again ordering very carefully in a restaurant but for very different reasons: Parkinson’s! Any meat on a bone or fish that requires careful and precise dissection, or peas that roll off your fork, are immediately dismissed when looking at a menu. Spaghetti is still off my list, but ravioli or gnocchi are easy and I can maintain my dignity at the table. At a function recently, sitting next to my husband, we were served steak with all the trimmings. My husband being in tune with my thoughts immediately cut his steak up into bite size pieces and then without a word or any fuss, we simply swopped plates. Voila, problem solved! 

No comments:

Post a Comment