About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, May 9, 2014

Billy Connolly's Attitude To Parkinson's

We could all learn a lot from Billy Connolly's attitude to life. He has the right idea using his wonderful sense of humour and love of life to laugh at Parkinson's right in the face.  Despite the shock of being diagnosed with Parkinson's and cancer for good measure (like myself, Billy never does anything by halves!) his formidable character has given him the ability to look at his prognosis with a healthy mental attitude and no doubt he'll use this situation as a source of endless comic material. I have always enjoyed his work as a stand-up comedian and talented actor. Billy tells it as it is, what I call "straight talk" - for he never minces words. Some may find his colourful vocabulary a little hard on the ear, but I love his enthusiasm, that cheeky smile and a twinkle in his eyes, as if a mischievous school boy is up to no good. I hope that Billy continues to entertain us for many years to come.

Having the right attitude, a sense of humour and remaining positive is what it's all about when you are diagnosed with Parkinson's. You want to stay far away from anxiety or any stressful conditions as much as possible. The detrimental effects can bring you crashing down at an alarming speed, for this is what Parkinson's feeds upon. Of course it isn't always easy to remove oneself from a worrying situation, or from people who are negative and unsupportive, especially when they happen to be relatives. This is a difficult one to handle, so it can end up being a bit of a balancing act.

Everyone makes mistakes, for none of us are impervious; an error in haste, a thoughtless word - sometimes actions that cannot be taken back or undone. If you've been following my blog, you will know I write in an honest way, sharing information and baring all, for it is from our mistakes in life, that we often learn important lessons. If I can prevent someone out there resulting in my situation, it will have been worth me revealing possibly the biggest mistake I ever made which could happen to anyone. I therefore urge you to read my article in this week's Huffington Post.  

No comments:

Post a Comment