About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, June 13, 2014

Spontaneity

Due to the many medications a Parkinson's patient finds themselves taking, not to mention a rigorous regime of exercise, therapy and doctor's appointments which dictate much of one's day, there is little time to have fun! It's surprising how much of the day is filled with various activities all centring around Parkinson's whilst we try to live the best possible quality of life. All this leaves little room for spontaneity - an important and uplifting addition to everyone's well-being.

Doing something fun, on the spur of the moment - anything spontaneous lifts one out of a monotonous routine, and for a short while, Parkinson's retreats and is relegated to the background.

Having recently discovered the virtues of walking barefoot in the house, and seeing the vast improvement, I was curious to try walking on the beach, where the sand right at the water's edge is damp, flat and hard. So with curiosity and spontaneity, my husband and I grabbed the moment, made some sandwiches, dusted off a bottle of red wine from the rack and made our way to the beach. There are thankfully quite a number of disabled parking places right next to the beach, so very little walking was involved from the car, although initially the sand was quite difficult and painful for me to wade through, but once on flat damp sand by the water's edge, I could walk barefoot far easier. I can't tell you the pleasure and thrill of merely paddling my feet (albeit in 2 cm of water!). I don't remember the last time I was at the beach - obviously far too long!

We spent the most wonderful couple of hours watching the sunset, listening to the waves crashing on the shore, children playing in the sand, people jogging, walking their dogs; all this lifted our spirits. So whatever you can find to do together, breaks up a regular routine, brings closeness and puts back some spark into your lives. Sometimes you just have to grab life, and do something spontaneous.     

Sharing good advice, I have learnt many useful tips and information from fellow Parkinson's patients, which was my inspiration for this week's article in The Huffington Post


1 comment:

  1. When I get the rare opportunity to be near to the beach, I find running barefoot at the waters edge very therapeutic and rejuvenating! Your outing sounds like a special evening to savor. Thanks for the spontaneity reminder. As a "planner" I don't take enough advantage of what this offers our lives.

    ReplyDelete