About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, December 12, 2014

Battling in the Trenches

Its 02:00 and wide awake – what awoke us? I’m not entirely sure. Battle weary, fatigue accompanies us wherever we go. So here we sit, Parkinson’s and me, alone in the trenches almost accustomed to each other’s company over the years, yet we are not allies. Far from it, we are mortal enemies, forced together against our will. 

One needs to dig deep to find the strength to continue battling daily. How did Parkinson’s and I end up in the same trench? I have no idea. My fingers tap consistently from the resting tremor, as if sending out a message in Morse code; H – hotel, E – echo, L – Lima – P – papa. HELP! I’m calling for help – but no one can hear.

No matter what the disease, despite having support, when awake in the middle of the night, unable to sleep, these are the worst and loneliest times. Dark thoughts lurk in the shadows of our subconscious, and only with strong determination, focusing on positive and hopeful beliefs, will these unpleasant feelings dissipate. During the day, the battleground appears less treacherous, and I’m kept busy with physiotherapy, exercise, voice therapy, writing and campaigning or any number of other daily activities that help keep Parkinson’s at bay.


So to all you Parkinson soldiers out there, who fight every day, keep up your guard, don’t let your defenses down for a moment. With millions of sufferers around the world, we are like a mighty army; in numbers we have strength, and together we will prevail. What keeps me going you may ask, and the answer is simple - trying to maintain a positive attitude and a sense of humour. These are two powerful weapons that help me get through each day. Laughter, as silly as it may sound, is a forceful shield against Parkinson’s. After watching the comedian, Michael McIntyre I was inspired to write about laughter which is my topic this week in The Huffington Post.

No comments:

Post a Comment