About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, January 9, 2015

Walking The Line

Do you have Parkinson’s? or are you a caregiver? Have you ever felt frustrated at how family or friends don’t understand what you are going through? I hear you; who wants to burden them with the ugly truth, so you prefer to put a smile on your face and say everything’s OK. It reaches a point however, when things are definitely not OK, and suddenly keeping up the charade gets harder, and holding things together when everything is falling apart seems impossible to do. Through campaigning over the last few years, I’ve been fortunate and given the opportunity to speak from the patient’s perspective, to audiences mostly comprised of the medical community. To get my message across, I have found it a fine line between telling the whole painful truth of what it’s like living with chronic disease whilst still maintaining a positive attitude proving how the human spirit is remarkably resilient.


I continue to write in an honest fashion what comes straight from my heart. With writing, comes responsibility, and I always spend much time and thought when preparing a blog or article, as to the effects my thoughts and opinions may have on others. I am not a doctor, just a patient born with Gaucher disease (a rare genetic disorder) and diagnosed at age 44 with Young On-Set Parkinson’s, sharing my journey and experiences with you all.

My last article in The Huffington Post “It’s A No Win Situation” appeared to have touched a nerve in many of you, for the positive response I received was quite amazing. I needn’t have worried or had qualms about pushing the envelope and speaking out. One lady who is campaigning hard, sent me an enthusiastic message, and I quote: “You knocked it outta the park, Elaine!! Bloody well done on the kudos to your article!! Such a brutally honest account - just what we NEED! Enough with the dressing mutton as lamb stuff!”


Needless to say, the response to my article gave me food for thought, and inspiration for this week’s article entitled: “A Wolf In Sheep’s Clothing”.

No comments:

Post a Comment