About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, December 25, 2015

When you can’t re-charge your batteries

How can I explain to those who do not suffer from Parkinson’s about the increased difficulties at simply getting together for a social visit. As the disease progresses, making any social engagement is far from easy, never knowing how I’m going to be on the day. This literally throws one’s social life out the window. Experiencing “off” times where essentially the Parkinson’s medications cease to work for a period, renders one unable to function, which disrupts life to an unimaginable extent.

It takes mammoth proportions of effort, both physically and mentally to accomplish anything whilst in an “off” state, and therefore important to listen to one’s body and rest when these times occur. It’s not a case of being a defeatist and giving up, for trying to fight through, no matter how determined, is counter-productive and if anything exacerbates the situation. It’s no good convincingly saying “I’ll take it easy tomorrow and make up for not resting today” as unlike a re-chargeable battery, any lost energy can never be re-gained or topped up. It’s as if you are irreversibly depleting internal energy levels.


The frustration experienced from “off” periods is off the scale and the lack of understanding from those around, can be soul destroying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment