About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Hydrotherapy

Having taken a hydrotherapy course some time ago, I can highly recommend the benefits that this particular form of physiotherapy can offer. One’s body weight being suspended in the water, preventing any injury to delicate joints or limbs, it certainly suites someone like me who has additional problems to Parkinson’s. I attended a course of twelve sessions, joining a small number of people in the group, no more than six. The pool heated to a very comfortable warm temperature; non slip tiles surrounded the pool, railings and steps leading safely down into the hygienic chlorinated water. Fortunately having no sense of smell due to Parkinson’s, I couldn't smell the high amount of chlorine, but others found it rather strong. The instructor entered the water with us, and gave each person individual exercises to do according to one’s abilities and needs. The only problem I had with these sessions was getting undressed and even more difficult dressing afterwards when still damp. Having someone to go with me would have been ideal, as I really needed assistance, but this was difficult to arrange. If you haven’t tried hydrotherapy, and are entitled to a course through your healthcare fund, give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment