About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Monday, August 20, 2012

Patient helps Caregiver

If your partner (caregiver) doesn't want to talk, appearing to clam up, this doesn't mean they are ignoring you or the problem of Parkinson’s. You may find that your carer needs “time out”, to withdraw in order to process information and the constant changing situation of your lives. Sometimes pushing and insisting “we need to talk” can be counter-productive and a need for patience, stepping back a little, allowing them in their own time to open up and talk makes for a much less pressurised situation. Watching a loved one caring for you is painful and one can feel ridden with guilt. Ultimately this can take a toll on you, so staying positive is one of the best ways you can help your caregiver’s situation. I can’t imagine how it must feel standing in my husband’s shoes, watching the vibrant young energetic woman he once married, slowly metamorphoses into a mere shadow of the person he fell in love with. Yet my remarkable husband remains steadfast by my side, doing all he can to make our lives the best they can be. 

2 comments:

  1. You express yourself beautifully. I have to add that the two of you are a couple who, under the circumstances, stand out as an example to others in similar positions.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt guilty at times that my husband had to take care of me during my ovarian cancer treatments, but I reminded myself that I would absolutely do the same for him. That is what unconditional love is about!
    The important role of a caregiver is too often overlooked. Good for you to write about it.

    ReplyDelete