About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Monday, August 6, 2012

Physiotherapy for Parkinson’s

As any degenerative disease progresses, it is imperative to try and maintain as much mobility as possible; in my case this problem is compounded by having Gaucher disease, and I have to take great care not to damage my hip joints whilst exercising. The physiotherapist aware of these problems has given me a set of exercises especially suited to my needs. Some of them I can do in bed, which ensures that I don’t fall, and others sitting on a dining chair next to the table. Waking in the morning my body is extremely stiff, which I am sure anyone with Parkinson’s can relate to. Once I have managed to extricate myself from the bed, am washed and dressed, there is a window of a few hours when I am at my best, but as the afternoon wears on and early evening arrives, my condition gets worse, and by the time I crawl into bed, I wonder how I will get through another night. Yet one more disturbed night passes, not just for me, but my long suffering husband who valiantly puts up with my insomnia, and everything else that Parkinson’s has thrown at him. Take a look at this link, makes me think all Parkies should take up cycling! Simply amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment