About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Caregiver Survival

Receiving news of being diagnosed with Parkinson's is earth-shattering and can feel like the end of the world. Initially the problem may appear bigger than anyone could possibly manage to get their heads around. Pushing away the reality of the prognosis, fighting against the diagnosis and all that follows does not help. A caregiver who sets his/her mind to make the best out of the circumstances and does whatever is possible to help the situation, is not only helping the Parkinson's sufferer, but is also helping him/herself  cope better. By keeping a positive attitude, instead of wallowing in the misfortune of having married someone who has suddenly been diagnosed with Parkinson's, is in fact self preservation for the carer. However, if a caregiver harbours bitter feelings, remains angry, disappointed at what life has dealt out and continually feels let down; although totally understandable, this does not help, but simply exacerbates the problem and causes resentment between husband and wife. Therefore finding a different route, and a way of coping, by working closely as a team, lifting each other's spirits, staying strong for one another, giving comfort and remaining supportive - the outcome is far more rewarding for both sufferer and caregiver.

1 comment:

  1. The caregivers of the world are not given enough recognition and words of appreciation. During my cancer diagnosis, treatment, and now remission, my husband has been my rock. We did as you say, lifted each other's spirits, stayed strong for one another, and gave comfort and support.
    Thank you for this blog.

    ReplyDelete