About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Masking

"Parkinson's Masking" is the term used when a person has an expressionless face, hardly blinking, turning one's entire head to look instead of moving just the eyes. Not everyone with Parkinson's will encounter masking. Make sure that your spouse/partner, family and friends are aware of this symptom. Usually I can feel when my face starts to "freeze", but on occasion I need someone to tell me. All small expressions, raising an eyebrow, a slight grin or wink no longer show on my face, but if someone makes me laugh really hard, then you'll see my smile and laugh. Most of the time my face is expressionless, and this is very confusing and disconcerting to those who don't understand. There are exercises one can do, by contorting one's face into exaggerated stretching movements, which as you can well imagine make one look extremely funny, so probably best done when alone, unless you want to entertain the family! I didn't  realise how much I rely on facial expression when conversing or simply listening to someone. It's terribly embarrassing to listen to a sad or serious subject being discussed and instead of having the appropriate expression, my face looks gormless and blank, as if I'm not following or understanding the conversation. Should you happen to be in the company of someone with Parkinson's and their face has a masked expression, don't assume they are unintelligent or disinterested in what you have to say. Behind the mask is the same fun, interesting intelligent person you once you knew. 

No comments:

Post a Comment