About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Sunday, August 11, 2013

The rate of progression

What is it that determines the rate of progression with Parkinson's disease? I often wonder how this strange disease has so many variables, each patient affected in a different way, no two people with the same story. For example, take Michael J. Fox who was diagnosed at age 29, yet here he is today, aged 52 returning to work, starring in a new television show. What has kept Parkinson's at bay all these years - are there extraordinary circumstances we do not know about, a regime of medications along with exercise? How is it possible that he is now able to return to work? The other end of the spectrum, is hearing about those diagnosed and within 7 - 10 years rapidly go down hill and are sadly no longer with us. Were these cases a more severe form of Parkinson's, or is it down to attitude and that some patients simply give up hope?

What puzzles me is the vast difference between patients. Parkinson's is a chronic and progressive disease and yet some people live with mild symptoms for many years, where as others, such as myself, develop difficulties with movement quite quickly. Parkinson's is a particularly peculiar pesky disease - that's for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment