About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Being a good friend

If you can count a number of friends on one hand you are lucky. True lasting friendships  are not built overnight, and trust is earned over time. Loyalty, honesty and the ability to share completely, giving and taking is a two way street. A healthy relationship can stand the test of time; women in particular have a "sisterhood" of sorts to call upon, to celebrate good times together and be there when life smacks us in the face, and we take a fall. This is when a friend steps in by gently helping, reaching out with a caring hand. Being genuinely happy for a friend when they succeed or advance in life and accepting the changes they experience with an open heart, is real friendship. As we grow, mature, experiencing different things, it is not possible nor healthy to remain exactly the same person you were when young. It can be a test of character for those who resent changes, or may have been doing better at one stage and now that the tables are turned, you are making a success; changing the balance and a shift in the relationship with which they can't cope. This is a sad but common scenario. A friend who cannot grow and change with you is not a real friend in my eyes. I am fortunate to have a number of ladies whose friendship I treasure and hold dear, and despite having poor health, they continue to stand by as my life changes due to Parkinson's. Life is full of surprises and I am constantly amazed at who lets me down, and even more astonished on occasion at who steps up to the mark without hesitation. Life isn't easy, and relationships can be complicated, but wouldn't life be boring if we were all the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment