About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, January 10, 2014

Dedicated partners

The week has flown by and a most eventful and busy one; a great way to start a new year. I knew I had been over doing things, pushing myself to the limits, but until I made the decision to stop blogging on a daily basis, and write just once a week on a Friday, I hadn't realised how much this computer had begun to rule my life. My typing has become very slow due to lack of dexterity in my fingers and was taking precious time away from me, when I should have been doing various exercises to keep me mobile and in the best shape possible, (Parkinson allowing!) and spending more time with my loved ones. Sometimes it takes a "wake up call" to make us stop, take a step back and reassess the situation. I am feeling much better, less stressed, and have managed to get into some sort of routine regarding Yoga breathing exercises, voice therapy, physical therapy and walking with Nordic poles. All this activity takes time and requires a conscious effort to include it as part of one's daily routine.

Life is unpredictable, a journey along which we hope to grow wiser and gain from experiences. Falling in love is not in our control, maybe fate brings us together, and this was our destiny all along. Having been married for 25 years now, not a day goes by that I don’t appreciate how lucky I am to have found my soul mate. He is indeed my silver lining! Almost joined at the hip, we are a perfect match, each bringing our own strengths and weaknesses to a marriage; together we make a good team. When we married, little did we know that Parkinson's would be joining us further down the road (who thinks of these things when young and in love?). Two is company, but add Parkinson's and three becomes a crowd! However we have learnt to manage and our sense of humour gets us through the rough days, and we laugh and make the most of the days that are good.

Fortunately we both have positive outlooks on life and are young in spirit, and remain hopeful, which is a huge bonus. I would not have made it this far and achieved all I have done in being an advocate for Gaucher and Parkinson's had it not been for my dear husband by my side. His devotion, love, support and patience have been endless. No words could express sufficiently the deep love and gratitude I feel for everything he does in taking care of me.

One of my favourite songs by the British singer, Katie Melua, says it all. I wish I had a pretty voice like Katie's for I would love to sing this song, but I'll spare my husband's hearing, and let him listen to the original. This is for you my darling who brings a smile to my face, warms my heart and holds my undying love forever; "If You Were A Sail Boat".

Writing weekly for the Life Style Section U.K. on The Huffington Post, my article this week is entitled "Mirror Mirror On The Wall". I wish you all a very good weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Happy 25th wedding anniversary, Elaine and Brian. That's quite a milestone, one that many don't make. Best wishes to you both for today, the weekend, and the next 25 years. Go out and celebrate–and leave the Parkinson's at home!

    ReplyDelete