About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, August 22, 2014

It’s A Battle Each Day

Experiencing a series of complications, my health has been extremely poor for over a month now. My hospital bag, that I always keep packed and ready for emergencies has been used twice just in the last two weeks. It’s a shame the ER don’t issue “frequent visit” points as the airlines do for frequent flyers. I’d rack up some points in no time!

Upon my last visit, I was taken care of by a charming doctor, who much to my astonishment and surprise, knew what Gaucher disease was. It was a pleasure not having to explain what this rare disease is for the 100th time, and felt I was in good hands, knowing he understood the complications of his new patient who had arrived in the ER with Gaucher and Parkinson’s. What a combination to have - one rare disease and one common disease. Once again my sweet husband had to suffer alongside me, sitting on a hard chair next to the bed. The ER was pretty empty, so I guess 02:00 isn’t a popular time to go! Fortunately it was not deemed necessary to hospitalise me, and so after some hours I was released and we made our weary way home.

The following day, I perked up a bit, and for a few fleeting hours I felt like I was OK, I was back, I was “me” again and my husband was delighted to be met by my smiling face and enthusiastic chatter when he arrived home from work. Just when I thought I was making progress, I was hit by yet another health issue, this time a common stomach bug. When your system is weak, one becomes prone to picking up infections and bugs. It’s been a very long haul, and I’m struggling to get back to where I was a month ago. I don’t think people truly realise how debilitating Parkinson’s is, and the smallest problem can escalate pulling one down so low, you think you’ll never manage to crawl back up again. Lucky I have a fighting spirit, but it’s taking every ounce of energy to battle these recent setbacks.


I think my husband is amazing. He never complains and will sit patiently at a hospital, taking everything in his stride. Take a moment to read my latest article “Parkinson’s Is No Dream, It’s A Nightmare” in the Huffington Post.

1 comment:

  1. Wonder woman. You're a true fighter. Always with a smile. Chapeau.

    ReplyDelete