About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, August 29, 2014

Life’s A Roller-coaster

It is Friday once again, and here I sit wondering where the days have disappeared to. It has been a strange week of ups and downs, emotions from one extreme to another, intense frustration and weariness to feelings of joy and immense hope. Life is often referred to as a roller-coaster; not the thrill seeking type ones finds at Disney Land, where you throw your arms up in the air and scream in sheer delight, hurtling at great speed as adrenaline pumps through your body. I’m referring to every day events that effect us all, whether they be health issues, losing a loved one, job difficulties and so on, which create a ripple effect spreading out to our family and friends who surround us.

A dear friend came to help me almost every day after I slipped a disc, and to merely say “thank you” doesn't feel anywhere near enough. How do you thank someone who has literally been there for you no matter what, a friend you can count on, with a cheery personality lifting your spirits and bringing comfort at a time when you need it the most. Apart from emotional support, her practical help in showering and dressing me, took some pressure off my husband. Knowing I was in capable loving hands allowed him to go to work a little less worried. Not only did she insist on washing the floors, hanging out laundry and bringing it in when dry, but realising the importance of voice therapy sessions, she even willingly joined in “think big – think loud”, ensuring I continued this important part of my daily regime in fighting Parkinson’s.

Through the Internet I've had the pleasure and honour of coming into contact with some amazing people, fellow Parkinson’s patients, Gaucher and others with serious on-going illnesses, where we have common ground and can relate to one another. I was deeply moved when I came across a man, who speaks so honestly, his sincere words touched my heart. With his permission, I have written about him in this week’s article on The Huffington Post, and I invite you to read “Parkinson’s Is An Iceberg”.

No comments:

Post a Comment