About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Sunday, July 22, 2012

To sleep, perchance to dream

When all are fast asleep in my house and it is the middle of the night, insomnia and pain, like old companions keep me awake and faithfully stay with me till exhaustion finally takes a hold and mercifully I fall asleep. These are lonely hours for anyone in my situation, for you cannot ‘ring a friend’ at such unsociable hours, and so each minute that tortuously passes by, feels like an eternity. Eventually I succumb to taking pain relief, but this isn't a cure, it merely dulls the throbbing pain. I envy those who get a restful undisturbed full eight hours sleep, waking to greet a new day feeling energised and ready to go. Our bed has been made especially high enabling me to get in and out with ease, and I highly recommend anyone in my situation, making the bed higher. It doesn't take much for a carpenter to add wooden blocks or some other addition to raise the height of the bed, and you’ll find this makes quite a difference. The mattress is also an important item that one should not stint on; buying the best possible orthopaedic mattress that feels comfortable and right for you. Silk sheets, as decadent as these might sound, help someone who has difficulty in moving, turn over a little easier in bed. A new day has dawned, the sun is shining, and outside I can hear the birds heralding the morning. Our dog is outside surveying her territory and slowly sounds of life surround me as the world stir’s from its slumber and wakes to another day. When ill you learn to appreciate the smallest of things, even something as simple as a good night’s sleep!

2 comments:

  1. elaine my friend ,i can relate to nearly every post you r writng my life,tje nigjt are pure hell no other way to dscribe them i pray 4 morning to come,wishing u a beeter week ,tzip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elaine you can call me in the middle of the night as many a time I am also awake!

    ReplyDelete