About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, June 7, 2013

A Sporting Chance

Sports are a healthy and enjoyable addition to everyone's life. Just because someone is in a wheelchair and disabled, does not mean they can't participate in sporting events, or have a routine of exercise they adhere to. The Paralympics in England last year were an excellent example; despite adversity and physical limitations, sportsmen and women from around the world showed us true courage and determination, not to mention a great deal of skill.


A friend of mine who is a keen golfer, met a charming man on the golf course who was in an electric wheelchair, which allowed him at the touch of a button, to virtually stand up, enabling him to play a sport he loves. Being the adorable friendly vivacious person she is, without a second thought, my friend asked in golfing terms, "What is your handicap?" As soon as she spoke, she realised that possibly her words were not wisely chosen, and hoped he was not offended, at what had been a genuine question. "Please don't tell me it's your wheelchair" she quickly added with humour hoping he was not insulted. "My handicap is 24" he replied, giving her a big smile. Clearly this confident man has a sense of humour and great positive attitude making him way ahead of the game!

To visit or not to visit, this is the question - take a look at my article on The Huffington Post. Have an enjoyable weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment