About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Monday, June 3, 2013

Painful muscles

A very common symptom of Parkinson's, is pain one can experience, particularly in the thigh muscles. When these muscles are over worked, great stress is put upon them, and the muscle can literally seize. I had his happen a number of times, but once my left thigh muscle (which is the side most effected) was so painful that it had gone into spasm. No amount of hot showers or painkillers seemed to help and I was very lucky that my sister-in-law not only is qualified in teaching Women's Yoga, but more importantly for me, she is trained in Thai massage (deep tissue massage). She worked on this particular muscle for over an hour, and told me to stay laying down on the bed and rest after she'd finished. Her hands must have been exhausted, for she really worked hard on my leg, getting deep down into the muscle. After she left, I fell asleep, and awoke refreshed a couple of hours later, finding the pain had finally gone. I had suffered for almost two weeks prior to her visit and was so grateful and relieved. Massage may not work for everyone when a problem like this arises, but it's worth a try and you have nothing to lose. Some people swear by acupuncture; I have never tried this, so have no personal experience to share with you. There is a book if anyone is interested, entitled "The Book of Exercise and Yoga for those with Parkinson's Disease" by Lori Newell (using movement and meditation to manage symptoms). Each patient is different and it’s a matter of finding what works for you.

1 comment:

  1. Deep tissue massage therapy is similar to Swedish massage, the focus is on the deepest layers of muscle tissue, tendons and joints .

    Massage Therapy West Kelowna

    Thanks
    Ryan Rusty

    ReplyDelete