About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Day dreaming

If I were to indulge for one moment in dreaming of winning the lottery, I would build a special hotel for disabled and long term chronic patients along with their caregivers who cannot afford a holiday, but badly need respite from their daily struggles. I dream of building a luxurious facility solely for this purpose, all rooms with electric beds and safety features, en-suite disabled friendly bathrooms, appropriate activities and entertainment, healthy nutritious cordon bleu cuisine, professional trained staff familiar with the needs of chronic patients and disability, along with on site nurses and doctor to ensure the visitor's medical care and well-being during their stay. As any Parkinson's patient is aware, keeping one's mobility is vital, so I'd add a team of physiotherapists who would hold sessions each morning, and hydrotherapy available for those who enjoy and benefit from being in the water. There would of course be a beautiful garden with flat wide paths meandering through a canopy of blossoming trees giving shade to the many comfortable seats along the way, breath-taking rose gardens, and something of interest to catch the eye at each turn. My dream hotel would be the perfect retreat for anyone disabled or suffering serious health issues, using the latest state of the art technology and careful planning.

Speaking from personal experience, a week's vacation would re-charge my batteries and those of my husband who is my caregiver. A break from routine, spent in lavish surroundings, and a change of scenery is important for everyone's physical and mental health. Those who are in need of a break such as this, often are under the strain of financial burden, relying solely on one income, so wouldn't it be wonderful if only a small nominal fee be charged, or in some cases, no charge at all. 

Unfortunately this is just a day dream, and I have no way of making it come to fruition. Winning the lottery is as likely as finding a four leaf clover, so I guess it's back to reality! The laundry basket is overflowing, the floors seem to constantly be covered in dog hair, the sink is full of dirty dishes, and I'm sitting here in my pyjamas for everyone left home early this morning before I managed to get dressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment