About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Concentrate on the present

Instead of dwelling on all the things you can no longer do - concentrate on what you can do. This all goes back to what I always say, look at the glass half full, not half empty. Ask yourself what are you passionate about, what do you enjoy and what can you achieve in your present condition? However circumstances may have changed your life due to Parkinson's or another chronic illness, new hobbies or activities can replace the things you used to do. Don't look at this shift in a negative light, but instead as a positive great opportunity to experience new pursuits that you may never have dreamt of doing. Clearly climbing Mount Kilimanjaro is probably out, or taking part in a marathon not possible, and perish the thought of bungee jumping, but with a little thought you can come up with something that you'll be able to do, and that brings you enjoyment.

Our garden has become my sanctuary, and I spend quite a lot of time out there. My husband built raised flower beds especially for me, so no bending necessary, and although I don't profess to be a "gardener", I thoroughly enjoy pottering around out there. It's therapeutic in a sense, and every night I diligently water my plants, and take pleasure when a new flower opens up, or fresh leaves appear. It is far from a manicured garden, but rather more of an enchanted walled garden, with a mass of colour and greenery spilling out of the beds and climbing the walls. This activity takes little dexterity - so perfect for Parkinson's, and if unsteady, I can always sit on a chair next to the raised flower beds. Gardening may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I am using this as an example of something I'm able to do, enjoy and get pleasure from. I hope that you are able to find a hobby that suites you.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds lovely Elaine and I like gardening also, two days ago a niebour of owes gave me three little Rubbab cutings so in the meen time I put them in water untill I can get someone to plant them. I havent got a nased garden yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your well written Parkinson's articles are right-on-target. I too have Parkinson's and can relate to the complications of the simple things like eating peas. I have a blog where I post short stories for entertainment. Some are an attempt to explain Parkinson's in a story form. How would you feel if I occasionally re-posted your articles? I would be happy to add a hyper-link to your website on every re-post.

    ReplyDelete