About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Keeping abreast of things

Now that I have reached the grand age of 50, I received an invitation from my health fund to have a mammogram. Right!!!!!! This is all I need - a mammogram. I've never had one before but have heard from other women, that it doesn't matter whether you are big or small chested, it hurts like hell as they squash your breasts in-between two plates of metal to take an image/scan. You would have thought with today's technology they'd have come up with a better and less painful test than this. I've got Gaucher and Parkinson's, surely there is no way I could get breast cancer too? What are the odds? The mere thought is just too much to even think about. I really don't want to take this test - and am certainly not interested in having my boobs painfully crushed, only to be told everything is fine. My body is racked with pain daily and goes through enough - I need this test like a hole in the head. Although there are no women with breast cancer in our family medical history, it would be negligent of me to ignore this 'delightful' invitation that was sent in a pretty pink envelope with flowers on it, as if this would make it all the more inviting. So I guess being the good patient, and not wanting to let down the side, I'll phone and make an appointment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment