About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Monday, May 7, 2012

No room for a wheelchair

We discovered the other day, much to our surprise that a standard wheelchair will not fit easily into the boot (in USA I believe you call it a “trunk”) of many regular sized cars. Realising this deficiency in the manufacturer’s design and the customer’s requirements and needs, we were astonished, and hence started our own personal survey. We took my wheelchair along to a car showroom, and tried putting it in the boot of several cars on show. To the amazement of the sales lady and us, only the very large cars had a boot big enough to accommodate my wheelchair. When reading the highly glossed shiny prospect of a new car, one’s mind boggles at all the intricate details and information they give the potential customer, but nowhere does it state if a wheelchair will fit into the boot! We have a relatively small car, and yet my wheelchair fits easily and comfortably into the boot, leaving the back seat free for passengers. Many cars we saw were larger than our car, and yet poorly designed as far as the boot is concerned, and no matter how we tried, my wheelchair would not go in. Maybe the English popular television programme “Top Gear” would like to pick up on this topic and bring it to the manufacturer’s attention, where Jeremy Clarkson I’m sure would do a grand job!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, Elaine! I hope that you are doing fine today! With regards to your dilemma, I would suggest that you get a custom-made wheelchair-accessible vehicle. These vehicles are made for such a purpose. With this type of vehicle, you will never have a problem with lugging your wheelchair into your vehicle.

    ReplyDelete