About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, May 4, 2012

Student doctors

I was contacted by a doctor who knows me, asking if I'd be willing to participate in a programme for student doctors to familiarize themselves with talking to chronic patients. I naturally said "yes" and talked for two hours answering their questions, meeting them several times and finally they accompanied me on a regular hospital visit to see what a chronic patient goes through. The hospital staff had been told in advance of their attendance, and every nurse, technician and doctor I saw that day took time explaining to the student doctors about each test, why and what they were looking for. It was an extremely long and tiring day, but the student doctors learnt a great deal from this experience. A copy of my book was given to them to read completing the picture of a patient with a rare chronic disease. This programme has been extremely successful and seen as an important additional learning exercise for new student doctors, which they hope will become a permanent part of the syllabus.

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing thing to do, Elaine. I can imagine how exhausting that day must have been for you. There are not many people out there who have the satisfaction during their lifetime, of knowing that the attitude of every single student doctor who saw you that day will change due to your courageous way of dealing with what life has dealt you. They will think twice about their attitudes when they come into contact with a person suffering from a genetic illness; or two.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete