About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

To speak or not to speak

I bumped into someone in a shop who I haven’t seen in a while; hugging me warmly, she kissed my forehead, and asked in a lowered concerned voice, “why are you in a wheelchair?” I hesitated for a moment, not quite sure if to tell her the truth that I have Gaucher and Parkinson’s, but decided it was too much information for an acquaintance to take in. I didn't have the emotional energy to start explaining my whole story to her, and then have to expend further more energy in comforting and reassuring her that I'm OK! It always makes me laugh, when I find myself consoling other people when they hear my story! This has happened before, and learning from experience, occasionally I find it better to tell a ‘white lie’, so sometimes it’s just easier to say that my legs are not too good and there’s too much walking for me in a mall. This may sound feeble, but it usually satisfies someone who doesn't really want to know and is merely making conversation is just an acquaintance or a person you are never going to meet again. I once made the mistake of telling a curious chatty shopkeeper who insisted on asking me what was wrong, and as soon as I mentioned Parkinson's (I didn't manage to tell him I had a rare chronic disease called Gaucher as well!) he then went on to lecture me about what to do and which doctor to see. Desperate to extricate myself from his well-meaning but misguided help, I couldn't leave the shop quick enough. The same applies when someone asks me “how are you?” I have to quickly surmise who really wants to know, and who is just being polite, preferring me to just say “fine thank you”. I tell you, it's often hard work knowing when to speak or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment