About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Suggested foods for entertaining


One of the most difficult situations causing great embarrassment, is being at a function or someone’s house, and refusing food that is offered, simply because it will prove too difficult to cut or eat in a dignified manner. Maybe people could be a little more aware of what foods are difficult to eat, and ensure there are some dishes that are “Parkinson’s friendly”! Olives, small gherkins and bite size pieces of cheese with pineapple on tooth picks are easy to pop straight in one’s mouth without the use of a fork. Anything that is spread on a cracker, if the cracker requires more than one bite, proves difficult to eat, and especially toppings precariously piled onto slices of crostini – these are disasters just waiting to happen. There is an old traditional English dish called Kedgeree, which is a particular favourite of mine, and this makes for a tasty meal that is easy to eat and mishap-free! A delicious risotto is also easy to eat with a fork or spoon in one hand; the sticky rice holding together the ingredients. Mashed potato, wonderful on one’s plate; can be used as a form of “food glue” sticking other foods together ensuring no dropping. Peas, spaghetti any steak on a bone should all be avoided like the plague! All it takes is a little imagination and trying to put yourself in “Parkinson’s shoes”.

2 comments:

  1. Elaine,
    Even though today's topic is such a sad one, you managed to make me laugh.
    Thanks,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the things we take for granted. After reading this post, I'm that much more sensitive. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete