About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Clenched jaw

When you are as "lucky" as I am, and have two major chronic diseases, it is difficult sometimes working out what symptoms and pains are associated to which disease. Many occasions in the past I have experienced pain in my lower jaw bone which is considered a "long bone" and therefore this unexplained pain that comes and goes is put down to Gaucher disease. Unwittingly, I have recently been clenching my jaw tightly shut, and after some days I realise my jaw is painful and my teeth feel like they are going to erupt. I have since heard from fellow sufferers that I am not alone with this additional symptom. One person had a night guard made to wear during the night to protect the teeth and cushion somewhat the jaw clenching shut and grinding teeth. The pain can radiate up towards the ears and I presume this puts pressure on the teeth too. Having had  a crown fitted recently, I have suddenly found that it feels like it's slipped out of place. I guess I will making yet another visit to our friendly dentist. Just when you think you know all the symptoms that Parkinson's has to offer, something new appears on the scene. I have always meticulously cleaned my teeth twice a day, floss, use mouth wash, and go to the dentist as soon as something appears to be wrong, and yet I am beset with dental problems. I know other people who don't seem to take much care of their teeth and yet require little or no treatment at all. I suppose good teeth is down to one's DNA. How common is this problem? If you have Parkinson's and suffer from unexplained pain in your jaw and teeth, you can leave an anonymous comment below; it would be interesting to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment