About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Looking forward

I'm not too sure who wrote the following quote: 

"Never let your past experiences harm your future. Your past can't be altered, and your future doesn't deserve the punishment." 

I  think there is some truth to this. Dwelling on painful past events is not constructive or productive; if anything it is detrimental to one progressing in life. My mother always used to say "no use crying over spilt milk" and as a child, hearing this over and over would irritate me no end. However, on hindsight, I guess she was right. One can't change the past, you can only do your best, move forward, gain experience along the way, and hopefully live a life with no regrets. 

Many years ago a fortune teller knocked on our door selling small bunches of heather. Not believing in such things, I nevertheless let the lady take my hand and watched her face as her smile faded and she looked into my face with great concern. "You will not end your days in this house" she told me, which of course came true as we've moved several times since. She then mentioned something about ill health and my head in a vague uneasy manner, to which I paid little attention at the time. Upon reflection, I wonder if she really saw that I would be struck down with Parkinson's. Knowing one's future is definitely not a good idea, and it was probably just as well that I took little notice of her predictions. I have a feeling this unpretentious lady with her basket of heather was no "fortune cookie" but possibly authentic. Although I bought the bunch of heather, I wonder why she never knocked on our door again?


No comments:

Post a Comment