About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Listen to your inner voice


When instinctively you feel something is wrong - you just don't feel quite right; trust your instincts, for they usually wont lead you astray. If something is amiss, don't ignore it. I was given pain relief medication, and getting a repeat prescription found there was a noticeable difference. I phoned to ask if I had been given the wrong one, or if the company had simply changed and improved its product, but was told I had the correct medication and that it might be simply a little stronger. The conversation was short and I did not feel satisfied or have peace of mind, but trying not to listen to that little nagging voice in my head, I took his unsound advice and continued to take this medication. After several more nights, my blood pressure dropping rapidly leaving my heart palpitating, I telephoned again and this time speaking to a different person, I pushed for a better answer and explained about the symptoms I was experiencing. The lady on the phone told me she would check to see exactly what I had been given, agreeing with me that I should not be experiencing these extreme and unpleasant symptoms. I quickly received a call back from her, apologizing and confirming that I had indeed been given the wrong medication and it was in fact a stronger version, and clearly not suitable for me. What is the moral to this story you may ask? You know your body and what you are feeling better than anyone, so if something seems out of sorts, don't let it go - find a solution or answer that makes sense and ultimately leaves you feeling better. If you don't speak up for you - who will?

1 comment:

  1. I know this feeling Elaine, For years I told my GP that I suspected that I had Parkinsons only to be told I was being ridiculous! Thank god for that little voice, That voice I callmy inner god.

    ReplyDelete