About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Monday, March 25, 2013

Parkinson pains

Many don't associate Parkinson's with having pain, when in fact unfortunately, there is a great deal and variety of different pains experienced when suffering from Parkinson's disease. I'm especially lucky (forgive my British sarcasm!) for having a double dose due to Parkinson's along with chronic bone pains from Gaucher disease. A while back , I was able to differentiate between the Gaucher bone pains and those related to Parkinson's, but of late, the pains are so constant and almost everywhere in my body, it's now difficult to pinpoint what belongs to which disease. But most definitely Parkinson's is painful. Just to clarify; there is pain in my shoulders, upper arms, hands, fingers, arms, legs, torso, legs, joints, muscular spasms and cramping. These are to mention but a few. Simply turning over in bed or getting up in the morning is extremely painful and difficult. My doctor recommends me resting each day, but often I can't contemplate getting back into bed for an afternoon rest simply because it is just too painful getting up again. I often rest in a comfortable arm chair in the lounge with my feet up on a foot stool. Now the warmer weather is approaching, I will hopefully be able to rest outside in the garden, warming my painful bones in the sun. So if anyone out there thinks that Parkinson's is merely shaking and tremors, you are terribly wrong. Pain is a huge element of this degenerative disease, and dealing with constant pain is not only very wearing but quite often difficult to manage and find the right pain relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment