About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Comedian Adam Hills

Having a sense of humour has always been one of my most valuable defences against fighting Parkinson's, and there is nothing quite like having a really good laugh to lift the spirits. Adam Hills is an Australian comedian who was born without a right foot, and through his stand-up comedy act, brings to the stage in a humorous manner questions that so many would love to ask a disabled person. Although his performances contain some explicit language (unsuitable for children and may be offensive to some), he certainly has the ability to see the funny side of life, particularly giving the perception of someone who does not see himself as disabled at all. His anecdotes and tales, although leaving the audience bent double with laughter, in fact address ordinary daily issues of having any form of disability, making the audience laugh with him and most definitely not at him. During his shows he has an interpreter using sign language on the stage with him, enabling anyone who is deaf to enjoy his unique ability to make people laugh about awkward situations, whilst in fact sending an underlying message that having any form of disability makes you no different from anyone else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment