About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Micrographia

Many a Parkinson's patient will suffer from a symptom called micrographia, which to put in simple terms, indicates abnormally small cramped handwriting. Writing a list for my daughter to go grocery shopping, I looked at the very tiny handwriting which appears to be getting smaller. I was reminded of some minute writing, the likes of which I had never seen before. 

Some years ago I visited Jane Austen's house which has been made into a museum, in the city of Bath, England. The house dates back to Georgian times and is where Jane Austen, the English novelist, lived for a period whilst writing works of romantic fiction that became classics and are still read and enjoyed today around the world. Apart from many of her dresses and apparel on display, naturally the stories, in her own original handwriting were behind glass cabinets. I was fascinated to see the fragile paper upon which she had once poured her thoughts and allowed her imagination to create the wonderful characters we grew to love, and now see come to life in films. What struck me the most was how small her writing books were and one almost needed a magnifying glass to read the miniature writing. I'm sure that Jane did not suffer micrographia, but that simply in those times, one used small sheets of paper, tiny envelopes and hence writing in general was kept very small.

My favourite book written by Jane Austen has to be 'Pride and Prejudice', and who could not be charmed by Mr Darcy, using beautiful language that sadly is no longer spoken today. The captivating character conveys love thus: "In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."  Now that's enough to make anyone go weak at the knees. I think I was born in the wrong century!


Here is my latest article on The HuffingtonPost if you'd like to take a look. It's an important issue that is often overlooked and not seen as very important, but it can have quite an impact on a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment