About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Mirror mirror on the wall

Looking in the mirror, I wonder who on earth is staring back at me. I hardly recognise myself any more. Although I am fundamentally the same person I always was, my inner core remaining intact, the outer façade barely resembles the carefree young, laughing and smiling woman I once was. Smiling to have my picture taken the other day, I could feel my face distorting, and try as I might, my natural smile and shining eyes as if suddenly camera shy refused to co-operate. Thanks to today’s digital cameras, no film was wasted, but many shots had to be taken until finally a decent picture was achieved, which I'm sure was fluke rather than perseverance. I don’t mind the crow’s feet around my eyes which show I've laughed and had fun, or the wrinkles indicating I am old enough to have a little wisdom under my belt, nor the grey hairs that continue to appear adorning my head confirming I've lived life to the full and have an interesting story to tell. What does bother me is the thought of losing my smile, my facial expressions, and the twinkle in my eyes. I know I will still be “me” inside even when these are gone, but dear family and friends, I'm sure will notice these missing elements, and I only hope when that day comes, they realise I'm still very much here.

No comments:

Post a Comment