About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, January 4, 2013

Fashion tips

My sister-in-law has an elegance about her and no matter what she is wearing she always looks chic. Clearly this runs in her family as her mother and sister also possess this attribute, which annoyingly, I seem to lack. Either you are born with this innate sophistication or you're not. Unfortunately I was not endowed with grace or style and it has taken me some years to learn these things which do not come naturally to me. Admiring my sister-in-law's new short comfortable boots easy to pull on, no zips or laces; a flat pliable rubber sole that looked non-slip, stylish yet simple - I couldn't help but ask where she had bought them. Finding footwear that is comfortable, easy to put on and take off, that one can safely walk in and are attractive is a tall order. This year however, there seem to be a large range of ladies boots in the shops, so if you need a pair of boots, now is the time to buy. A friend of mine who runs "Wardrobe", having been in the fashion business for many years, offering women advice on dressing for any occasion, gave me a few more tips. One was to invest in a pair of classic earrings, (if you don't already own a pair) that you can wear all the time and sleep in, thereby eliminating the need to remove fiddly earrings when going to bed. She told me that to achieve a good look - the earrings should be in proportion to your face, a thought which had never crossed my mind. Another item that may be overlooked is if you wear glasses; again it's worth investing in good frames that suit your face, after all, glasses frame your eyes, which is the first thing people see. I made a short poetry reading on YouTube during 2011, and was shocked when I happened to see it the other day. My hair was so long (this was before my "make-over") and I still had facial expressions. My face now often frozen, makes me feel very self conscious. During a clinical trial several years ago, I was video taped walking, and my picture was taken so there would be a pictorial record of my facial expression. If they were to take my picture today, they would no doubt clearly see the difference - a sort of before and after picture, except usually the before pictures are awful and the after pictures are the ones that make us go WOW! Parkinson's seems to turn everything upside down and back to front!

No comments:

Post a Comment