About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Moving house

After almost 7 years of planning; designing, dreaming, much frustration and waiting, we finally moved into our disabled friendly house which has been built especially with my needs in mind. Packing up an entire household is a mammoth job, and I was ruthless when it came to getting rid of unnecessary clutter that we are all guilty of accumulating over the years. I started packing way in advance, as I could only manage a little each day and found it an exhausting and time consuming job. If a piece of clothing no longer fits, and you haven't worn it in a few years - get rid of it. The same applies to household items that are either broken, not used; simply taking up space and gathering dust. Obviously certain sentimental objects one wants to keep, that remind us of good times or loved ones who are no longer with us. The day arrived to move, and a feeling of excitement along with the surreal feeling that this was all a dream, after waiting so long, made for some very mixed emotions. The removal company efficiently and quickly performed their job, and within a few hours we were surrounded once again by boxes, but now in our new house. I would like to thank all our family and friends who have helped us in various ways; from bringing us prepared food so we wouldn't have to cook for the first days, doing laundry as our washing basket started to overflow, and helping to unpack the kitchen ware. I am very grateful for this wonderful and most practical help at a very stressful and physically challenging time - thank you!  Going to sleep the first night in our new home was very exciting, but as thrilling as it was, exhaustion finally took over, and I think we all fell asleep as our heads touched the pillows. Life will be so much easier for me now, living in a house especially designed with Gaucher and Parkinson's in mind. We have tried our best to take every aspect into account, but no doubt there will be something that we forgot or overlooked.  . 

2 comments:

  1. Make sure whatever it is that you've overlooked isn't your storage needs! I know somebody who did everything, literally everything, so far in advance that she missed that most glaring of issues. She had to crawl on her knees to the ABC Self Storage team to help her out, it was so short notice! Don't make that mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally, the wait is over and you've moved to your new home. No worries if you have forgotten something along the way since you can fix that soon.

    ReplyDelete